Friday 5 March 2010

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learnt a lot about technologies over the process of making ‘Poker’s Advocate’ as we had access to equipment this time round that we did not have whilst making our Preliminary project. Firstly I learnt the importance of planning, music and the length of the filming process.

Practically, I learnt how to light a shot to give it depth, and that using shadows can be highly effective to create an interesting picture. I learn not to touch the redhead bulbs as the oils on your hand would cause the lights to burst. Never touch the barn doors when the light is on or directly after it has been switched off. And finally don’t turn the lights on if anyone is looking at them.

I also learnt about the shutter speed on a camera as well as gain and white balance. And how ‘shooting for edit’ makes for easy editing.

Sound wise, point the tip of the boom microphone at the speaker for better sound quality. And there are hand held recording devices available. I learnt how to work and download off of one of the hand held recording devices.

Editorially, I learnt how to manipulate and loop music, as well as how to use various editing techniques such as the ghosting effects. I also learnt how to use Final Cut Pro (even though we did not get to use it).

I also found the music website ‘grooveshark’ which allows you to listen to music for free (a great tool to preview potential songs to use in a film).

No comments:

Post a Comment